Thursday, July 15, 2010

The one where I had a space suit.

During an afternoon nap on Monday, January 18, 2010 at 4:38pm, Blues had a dream...


As I'm falling asleep I pay close attention to my lungs, expanding and contracting. Slowly I lose track of what I'm paying attention to and get rocked to sleep by my oscillating chest.
I open my eyes to find that I'm no longer in my bed, and the oscillating is that of my suit's oxygen generator. Toto and I aren't in Kansas anymore, no, we're in space. Basking in the dark orange-yellow light reflected off a nearby planet I analyze my surroundings.

I'm floating just above the surface of the ship, apparently I was exploring the nearby area, checking if all the outer equipment is in working order. The commander calls in on the headset "Hanson! We're about to break the atmosphere get the hell inside the ship!". I look for an entrance and can't seem to find any unlocked vents or hatches. Looks like I'm S.O.L. Suddenly the cargo area of the ship opens and I'm sucked inside by it's vacuum force. Flying at high speed in my drop suit seems somewhat safe, but I figure I'll pull my chute for good measure...

My chute rips from my back and the cords snap, leaving only the emergency handles. I manage to grab one and it slows me... slightly. I'm thrown to the floor and the cargo bay closes. The commander tells me never to pull any stunts like that again. Little does he know.

"ALRIGHT TROOPS TIME TO DROP!" and with that the hanger bay opens and everyone is sucked out of the ship. But my chute is broken! As I'm being dragged across the floor by the wind I manage to get one hand on the handle of my chute. Into the air I go! Cheers and screams from all the other passengers are all I can hear, other than the sound of intense winds of course. As we fall towards the planet many people start pulling at their chutes. I wish I had it as easy as them!

No later than the moment I wish for a better chute does "The Falling Chute Salesman" appear. "What can I do yah fer?" says the FCS. Obviously a parachute! But it's not that easy, no, he has to list off all the kinds of chutes he has and all of the prices! By the time I pick which chute I want I've hit the ground. I'm alive though, little thanks to the pile of mud I landed in and many thanks to my drop suit. The FCS throws a chute at me and says "All transactions are final!" *Sigh*

Darcey tells me he needs me to carry his backpack to the base because he has some stops to make. He tells me I'm carrying the bag with the food in it and he'll hold onto the one with supplies and clothes. "Make sure there's something left in that bag, eh?" he says. His loss.
I grab a waterbottle, some Crystal Light Chunky, and half a sandwich. Score!

I'm pretty sure the Crystal Light Chunky killed me, because I woke up after I drank it.

No comments:

Post a Comment